Week #31; Wed, 8/01/18, 2018: Josh. 7:1-11:23
Notice how chapter 10 accounts for the “sun standing still” now bringing NASA to make allowances in calculations for accurate space travel.
JOSHUA 7: Israel Defeated at Ai
1. Due to devoted things being removed by Achan and Zabdi, of the tribe of Judah, the anger of the Lord burned against the people of Israel.
2. When Joshua sent men form Jericho to Ai to spy out the land, they returned saying only 3,000 men were needed to attack.
3. But, the 3,000 men fled before the men of Ai, losing about 36 men.
4. The hearts of the people of Israel melted.
5. Joshua tore his clothes and lamented to the Lord before the ark of the Lord.
6. The Lord commanded Joshua to get up and burn those who have taken the devoted things.
7. Achan and Zabdi confessed; Achan was selected by lot to be burned and stoned in the Valley of Achor.
8. The Lord then turned from his burning anger.
JOSHUA 8: The Fall of Ai
1. The Lord said to Joshua, “Take all the fighting men to Ai.”
2. The Lord said to Joshua, “You shall do to Ai as your did to Jericho.”
3. The Lord said to Joshua, “Lay in ambush behind it.”
4. Joshua took 30,000 men of valor with him.
5. Joshua set 5,000 in ambush who were to set the city on fire once the men of Ai leave to pursue Joshua’s 25,000 men in the main encampment.
6. Not a man was left in Ai (or Bethel) who did not go out after Israel; the city was open.
7. The ambush element captured and burned Ai, then they went out after Ai and it’s king striking them down as the Lord directed.
8. 12,000 men, women, and children of Ai fell by the hand of Israel; the king of Ai was hanged.
9. Joshua renews the covenant with the Lord by building an altar on Mt. Ebal and Mt. Gerizim, reading the words of the Law of Moses which the Lord had written.
JOSHUA 9: The Gibeonite Deception
1. When they heard of the defeat of Ai and it’s king, all of the kings in the surrounding cities gathered as one to fight against Joshua and Israel.
2. But, the Gibeonites acted with cunning by dressing with worn our garments and dry and crumbly provisions to meet Joshua and the Israelites.
3. The Gibeonites said to Joshua, “We are your servants.”
4. They claimed to be from a distant country coming to make a covenant of peace and servitude with Israel; Joshua made peace with them ignoring what the Lord commanded.
5. Because of the oath, they did not kill the Gibeonites, but made them cutters of wood and drawers of water.
JOSHUA 10: The Sun Stands Still
1. But the Amorite kings of Jerusalem, Hebron, Jarmuith, Lachish, and Eglon gathered up their forces and encamped against Gibeon and made war against it.
2. The men of Gibeon asked Joshua to save them from the five Amorite kings.
3. The Lord said to Joshua, “Do not fear them, for I have given them into your hands.”
4. The Lord threw down large hailstones on them and they died.
5. The sun and the moon stood still for a whole day until the nation of Israel took vengeance on their enemies.
6. The five Amorite kings were executed by hanging.
7. Makkedah, Gezer, Eglon, Hebron, Debir, Libnah, and the whole hill country,the Negeb, and the lowland/slopes was also captured and destroyed; none of the inhabitants remained, just as at Jericho.
JOSHUA 11: Conquests in Northern Canaan
1. Madon, Shimon, Achshaph, the northern hill country, the Arabah, Chinneroth, the lowland in Naphoth-dor, the Canaanites, the Amorites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Jebusites, the Hivites came to the waters of Merom to fight against Israel.
2. The Lord said to Joshua, “Do not fear them for I have given them into your hands.”
3. Joshua was told to ham-string their horses and burn their chariots with fire; he did.
4. Joshua also struck Hazor and the hill country, the Negev, Goshen and the lowlands, the Arabah and the hill country and it’s lowlands from Mount Halak, Baal-gad in the Valley of Lebanon below Mount Hermon.
5. Joshua took them all in battle.
6. The Lord devoted them all to destruction just as the Lord commanded Moses.
7. The Anakim from the hill country from Hebron, from Debir, from Anab, and from all the hill country of Judah and Israel were devoted to destruction by Joshua just as the Lord commanded Moses.
8. However, some of the Anakim were left to remain in Gaza, but Joshua took the whole land as the Lord had spoken to Moses.
1. All Readings for each week are now contained in a separate posting rather than in a continuous stream under one post.
2. However, “Week #7” is out of proper order; use “Search” to find if needed; other minor repairs are also pending.
3. The blog page titled “4-Schedule” now contains 3rd and 4th Quarters for 2018. 2019 and 2020 will be added soon.