Week #13; Wed, 3/28/18: Ex. 33:1-38:31
33. In departing Mt. Horeb, God sent an angel before the children of Israel to guide them to the promised land. He required them to strip themselves of their ornaments. The Tent of Meeting was guarded by the pillar of cloud while God spoke to Moses face to face. The people would worship at the front door of their tent while Moses was in the tent. Moses apparently looked at the image of God; however, when he asked the Lord to actually see his face, God said that man could not see His face and live. So, God hid Moses in the “cleft of the rock” until He passed by allowing Moses to only see his back. His face was not seen.
34. Per God’s command, two new tablets were cut by Moses to replace the two that he destroyed. He went up on the mountain where the Lord descended in a cloud and Moses worshiped Him. God promised to drive out the inhabitants of the land where they were going and He commanded them not to worship the gods of those inhabitants and to tear down their altars and break their pillars of worship. God commanded them to observe the Feast of Unleavened Bread and all the firstborn are to be redeemed. Details were given for the Feast of Weeks for the first fruits of the wheat harvest, the Feast of Ingathering and the Feast of the Passover. The Sabbath day is designated a day of rest. The Ten Commandments were re-written on the second set of stones. When Moses came down from the mountain with the two new stones, his skin shown brightly and he had to put a veil over his face.
35. Moses assembled all the congregation of the people of Israel and said to them six days work shall be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. The penalty for failing to observe the Sabbath was death. Detailed descriptions for contributions to the Lord for the building of the Tabernacle and the making of the holy garments were also provided and skilled craftsman were assigned to do the work. The construction of the Tabernacle involved detailed instructions including symmetry and directional components.
36. The contributions for the sanctuary were stopped once there was sufficient material to do the work.
37. The Ark of the Covenant and Mercy Seat were also made with the same kind of detailed instructions as the Tabernacle. The two Cherubim, the Table, the Lampstand, and the Altar of Incense, were also described by the Lord in great detail for the craftsmen to follow.
38. The Altar of Burnt Offering, the Bronze Basin, and the Court were constructed next in the same detail as previous items. Moses directed all the Lord commanded. At the time there were 603,550 men from twenty years old and upward.